Monday, October 1, 2007

Celebration of Life

It's been a difficult week - I got news on Monday that my Nanna (Violet Hurrey) was in a bad way. Her heart had been causing her problems for quite some time - but now it wasn't pumping blood very well to her legs and she was in a lot of pain. Nanna's time on earth was limited - my Mum was told it would be no more than a couple of weeks. At 93 I think it is cruel that the body should do this to her. I really wanted to be there for her - but was unable to get down to Melbourne. Thankfully my uncle was with her constantly - so at least I knew she was being loved and supported. Mum rang me Wednesday evening to say that they didn't think that Nanna would make it through the night. Mum was in Sydney and was unable to get a flight out that night - I felt really sad for her. Nanna was still with us on Thursday morning - so Mum managed to get a flight. Nanna's fight for life ended just after noon - while Mum was still on her way. Both my Auntie and Uncle were with Nanna and said that she died peacefully. I am sad for mum but Nanna stayed in her room so Mum could say good bye (Mum didn't arrive until around 4 pm).

I feel I should be happy that Nanna d
idn't suffer for long and that she had a wonderful and fulfilled life. But I will miss her terribly - Nanna was very important person in my life. She was always there for me, always made me feel very special. Nanna had a very kind heart and had a special gift with children. Today I am preparing to fly to Melbourne so that I can be at Nanna's funeral tomorrow to celebrate her very special life.

I've put together some recent photos I had of Nanna - to see the album visit my Flickr page

No comments: