Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Homebirth Midwife works in a Tertiary Hosptial

For the past nine years I've focused my midwifery on providing independent midwifery services for women and the families who primarily want to give birth at home. I love my work and believe passionately about the importance of the choice of birth place. For family reasons I am now only attending a limited number of births as an independent midwife and felt the need to network with the hospital system. The way I've chosen to do this is by working casually within a major teaching hospital.

I've just spent one shift in a birth unit and have found the medicalisation of birth has increased even more than when I was previously employed by a hospital. This saddens me no end. Research clearly shows that high intervention birth does not improve out comes in fact it increases the complications for mothers and babies. Within my own practice women birth under their own steam, in their own time with the people they choose to be with them. I would love this model to be available to women publicly - by that I mean free through Medicare.

I was talking to a hospital based midwife about the reasons for the extremely high intervention rates - her answer actually floored me. She said "its the women". Her logic was that they are apathetic and don't take response for the own health care. I didn't quite know how to respond to these comments (that is without responding rudely). But these comments have got me thinking - what is the best way I can influence women's experience giving birth and I think it is education. Not of the women, but of the midwives. This may be my path to take on this new journey.

After having a break for midwifery for the last 18 months - I've come back with renewed energy and passion. I am going to fight for better birth out comes and positive experiences for women and their families.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jane,

My name's Chris, and I'm a homebirth midwife in NZ.

I can really relate to your reaction to comments about rising interventions & unhealthy birthing being due to "the women". Here in NZ this trend is often framed as being "women's choice". Sure, some women may make those choices no matter what information, care or encouragement they receive, but on the whole I believe this situation is a sad indictment on the state of midwifery.

I too am trying to make sense of this and find positive ways to respond without resorting to cynicism and getting angry with the majority of my midwifery sisters! So many midwives seem to pay lip service to 'normal birth' but don't truly believe in it or reflect their beliefs in their practice. The issue is extremely complex but I believe it's midwives as 'guardians of normal childbirth' who need to work HARD to reverse this trend. Otherwise, we just make it worse. If the midwife, who is the 'natural birth advocate' believes all this intervention (which as we know in our bodies AND from research increases complications) is a valid 'choice' or 'necessary' then it must be! I once read a great article on how the 'choices' we as midwives offer to women affect the decisions women make. If I can hunt it out I'll forward it to you.

My conclusion on what to do about this is that birthing women and the community in general need more information and support to make healthy choices. The most powerful part of my own (continuing) education was and still is contact with strong birthing women who know what they want for themselves and their babies (& families) & trust in their bodies. Having said that, I have also been very fortunate to learn from some wonderful midwives who truly 'get it'! I believe these women and midwives must join forces and work together to effect the change that desperately needs to happen.

I'm really interested in tracking your process on this one! Thank you for your wonderful website & blog.

Best wishes in your new job!

Chris Hamilton

aussiemidwife said...

Dear Chris

Great to hear from you. I've love hearing about my midwifery sisters, their stories and challenges. Here is Oz we often refer to the New Zealand model as ideal - it is sad to hear that all is not well across the Tasman Sea.

I'd love to read the article on 'Choices' if you are able to find it.

The hospital that I'm working in has welcomed me with open arms (that is the management). However it is some of the midwives working on the wards that are very set in their ways. I am working through different ideas on how I can make a positive change - this will be a work in progress. I really want to influence the new midwives as they will be the ones to make changes later on. I would love to start a "Midwifery Circle" where the new midwives can come and share their experiences in a supportive environment and learn from experienced midwives who, as you say, "get it".

My first shift actually on the wards is this coming Sunday (I've been doing orientation up to now) - I think at first I'm going to have difficulty just getting the hospital stuff (i.e. drips, paper work etc) under control as it's been a long time since I've worked in such an environment - before I can start on my goals.

I dear say I'll be posting lots about this on my blog

Cheers

Jane